Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Fairy Friends Christmas Card


Hey guys! Happy Wednesday! I've got another card creation to share with you today. I'm trying to get an early start on my Christmas cards this year. Hopefully I will actually get more than 2 given out this year. I've decided this will be the year that my procrastination doesn't get the best of me. 😉

I really just can't get enough of these adorable gnomes and fairies from Lawn Fawn! I absolutely love them! For my box, I used Lawn Fawn's Scalloped Box Card Pop-Up die. I used Neenah Solar White 110 lb cardstock for this card. I decided to use this heavy cardstock because I knew that I was going to be inking both sides of it heavily and also heat embossing. To start, I cut the cardstock in half just to make it easier for me to work with. I used the Frosty Fairy Friends stamp set to create the outside of the box. I used the 4 snowflakes included in that set to get my snowy "background". I just arranged them onto an acrylic block so I could stamp it many times, this method was quicker than using the MISTI. I made sure that I used my anti-static powder bag on the surface of the cardstock. Next, I stamped the snowflakes using Versamark ink. It is a clear ink that's very sticky, perfect for heat embossing with. After I had stamped the image, I covered it with white embossing powder from Ranger. I didn't immediately heat-set it, as I wanted to stamp the image several times before I did that. I repeated the process several times until I got my card stock almost covered with snowflakes. It wasn't necessary for me to cover the whole entire panel since I was going to die cut the pop-up card base from it. After all the snowflakes had been heat set, it was time to ink it up. I used Blueprint Sketch Distress Oxide ink. I inked both sides of  the cardstock. I let it sit for a few minutes, then I used a paper towel to clean off any of the ink that was on the embossing. This just made the embossing "pop" against the blue background. I sprayed the other side with water from a Distress Sprayer and blotted it dry. I did this for both pieces of the Neenah cardstock. I am absolutely in love with this vibrant color!


After everything was dry, I die cut the base panel of the box from both of my ink blended backgrounds. I folded the box along the score lines and made sure to crease them well with my bone folder. I then cut 6 of the inside tab pieces from some white cardstock. I folded and creased along the score lines of 3 of those pieces for the inside of the box. I adhered the two box pieces together, leaving one side open. Then I adhered the 3 tab pieces to the inside of the box and completely closed it at this point. The remaining 3 tabs are what I cut the snowy ground from. To do this, I used Lawn Fawn's Puffy Cloud Border dies. Then I cut off the folding part from them and adhered them onto the white panels inside the box card. 

Now I was ready to work on my scene. I have been enjoying coloring so much lately. I am by no means an expert. Not even close. But I do so enjoy it. There's just something about coloring with a marker that has always made my heart happy. I started by stamping my images. I used the gnome from Lawn Fawn's Gnome Sweet Gnome. I used the toboggan and earmuffs from the Making Frosty Friends set. The rest of the images (fairies, snow-covered mushrooms, gift, and fairy house) all came from the Frosty Fairy Friends set. I stamped them with Lawn Fawn Jet Black ink since I would be using Copic markers to color them. The only image that I didn't stamp with the Jet Black was the mirror gnome. I couldn't get a solid stamped image with it. I feel like it was because I was stamping it onto a mirror block and then stamping that onto the paper. I ended up using the Versafine Onyx Black ink for that one single image. It is not Copic friendly so I had to be super careful when coloring that image. 


I colored the images in colors that made me think of my family. The gnomes in colors that my husband and son like and fairies in colors that me and my girls like. Below you will find a list of the Copic colors that I used.

Gnomes: R39, R29, R24, W7, W4, W0, B39, B37, B34, E21, E51, E55, and E57
Fairies: E21, E51, Y19, Y15, RV14, RV13, RV10, E27, E25, V15, V12, V01, W8, W7, W4, E79, G000, and 0
Toboggan: R39, R29 and R24
Earmuffs: B39, B37, and B34
Fairy House: E55, E57, E79, R39, R29, BG32, and 0
Gifts: G07 and R29
Snow-Covered Mushrooms: R39, R29, E53, E55, C1, B91, and 0

After I had colored the images, I cut them out using the coordinating dies. I also used the stitched rectangle die from the pop-up card die set to stamp the sentiment on. It also came from the Frosty Fairy Friends set. I stamped it with the same ink that I blended on the box. Now I just arranged everything to get it in just the right place. I adhered the house with foam tape to the back of the box itself. Every other image was put onto the snowy tabs inside the box. I put the earmuffs onto one of the gnomes. For the other gnome, I cut a tiny bit off his hat and adhered the toboggan on top of it. I wanted them to be ready for the snow. I put them onto the back tab, one on each side. On the middle tab, I attached two snow-covered mushrooms one on each side, and what I called the "mom" fairy. I put her onto a small strip of acetate that I had left over from making some shaker cards. I wanted her to look like she was flying. Onto the front tab, I attached the other two fairies and 3 more mushrooms. I also put a gift in each of the fairies' hands. I placed the stitched box with the sentiment onto the front flap of the box. Now, the card was complete. 


I really loved making this card. It just seems like the perfect fit for our family Christmas card. I hope that you like it too! I'm so glad that you came to visit me today! I hope that you will come back soon! Have a wonderful Wednesday!



4 comments:

  1. wow!! stunning distress ink blending!! and those fairy carolers are ADORABLE!! love this so much!! thank you so much for playing along with the Lawn Fawnatics Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! =)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is too cute! What a clever pop-up card! I love those fairies and gnomes packed in together, keeping each other warm against the chill. ;) Thank you so much for playing with us at Lawn Fawnatics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I appreciate your sweet comment!

      Delete